"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Family Fun Day at OBC

Saturday (22/8/2010) was spent at the church for their annual family fun day.  There were 300-400 people at the church competing at various games. They divided everyone up into team colors when we arrived. There was soccer, basketball, volleyball, capture the flag and a few random races.  The kids and Scott all jumped in on a team and played.  I decided to be a cheerleader or just a spectator!  I actually jumped in to help and cut 5 bags of oranges into quarters for the kids to have as snack.  Several of the church members were cooking and selling food.  There was a big variety to choose from.  We sampled several different things including Indian noodles with beef and chicken (very very spicy), curry chicken and rice, sausage dogs, chocolate cake and shortbread cookies.  After lunch the games continued but I had the privilege to sit and talk with Sohoffello.  Sohoffello is an original Batswana.  She was born in the bush and never went to school.  She shared her story of what God had done in her life – AMAZING! When she was 15 she went to South Africa to work as a house keeper for 15 pula a month. (that is equal to $2 us dollars) The funny part of that story is that she had no idea how to keep house.  She had lived in a hut with  no floors, no sinks, no water.  The family she was with taught her everything she needed to do.  She said she was more thankful for the food scraps than she was for the 15 pula. If there were extra pieces of bread she would dry them and send them back to her family in the bush.  After working for the family for 3 years she asked if she could have a raise and they refused.  She decided to return home and try to find other work in Botswana.  She started selling oranges outside the hospital.  The first day she sold one bag.  The second day she sold 2.  They next day 4. Until she finally sold 6 bags a day…all she could carry in her hands, on her back and balance on her head. This became her business.  It was very profitable to her.  She would bury her earnings in a jar under the tree and had no idea how much she had earned.  The Lord blessed her and she was able to build a home – which she still has to this day.  I loved hearing her talk and how she gave God all of the Glory for the things he had done in her life.  Sohoffelo also taught me some Setswana!! I learned a few sayings but can’t say that I could remember them today.  Pastor Norman told her she was responsible for teaching me some culture and Setswana and how to dance in church( oh boy )! While Sohoffello and I chatted I also had the privilege of holding a precious 18 month old Lafika as she slept for a couple of hours. She was so cute and sweet!  She just laid there and snored as we talked away.   When the festivities ended at the church we came back to Jeff and April’s.  April was having Tea with a young Zimbabwean lady named Porchea.  Porchea is looking for a job so she can move to Botswana permanently. April was asked to make contact with Porchea by a lady that had come to Botswana from the US and done a womens conference. She was telling us how bad things were in Zimbabwe.  How the currency had no value at all and now they were using US dollars as their currency.  There was no work there and the government is corrupt.  April asked her how we could help her.  She asked for us to pray for work and for a place for her and her son to stay here in Botswana in block 8.  Her son is 8 and they have been living with her sister and 14 others in a small house about 3 streets away from Aprils.  Clay Smith (pastor at ADBC) would always ask me, “What did you learn?”  Today I learned that most people you meet need a place to stay.   Mercy (April’s housekeeper), Yuko ( the young exchange student from Japan), and now Porchea are looking for someplace to stay.  When they say they are looking for a place to stay they mean a room.   Most houses have “servant’s quarters” and that is basically what they are wanting.  My heart seems to go out to all of them.  So far I haven’t promised our extra room to anyone.  Please pray that I would be discerning in knowing when and to whom I should – if anyone – allow to live with us. 

We are continuing to search for our vehicle and are counting down the days until we move into our home.  Please continue to pray for the Sukups and us as we live together.  They are very patient and very gracious hosts!!  I just feel so bad for them going from 2 to 9 for 3 solid weeks.  Please pray that we continue to settle in become more familiar and comfortable with the culture.  Please pray that we would know exactly what God has for us each day.  We love and miss you all!    TONYA

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is all about relationships....I got a lump in my throat several times as I read this aloud so Austin could hear what's going on with the Shipes. God has already given you lots and lots of opportunities to build relationships in Botswana. How amazing!!!!

    As I read the part about the extra room, I couldn't help but think of what I read about Francis Chan the other day. I was curious about his salvation experience and life. I was impressed that out of the 14 years of marriage, him and his wife have had someone living with them during 12 years of that....different people who needed a place to live. That is truly being Jesus.

    Love all the posts and love you!!!!!! Praying for discernment, learning the culture and for all your children.

    Love,
    Shanda

    ReplyDelete