"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Botswana Day 8

Busy, Busy Day!! We all headed in different directions this morning.  Scott headed to the church to get stuff needed for resident permits so he could claim our container from the moving company here.  Hunter and Chandler headed to a day camp for teens being run by a short-term mission team from Indiana.  Me and the other boys went shopping with April to start getting household items together.  Normally shopping is a fun thing to do but when 3 little boys are in tow and when there is no such thing as “Wal-Mart” it is not near as much fun.  When shopping in Botswana you have to go to different stores to get different items.  Curtains  - “Sheet Street”.  Household items (brooms, toilet brushes, picture frames, etc.) – “Game”.  Electronics and appliances – “Home Corp”. Groceries, laundry detergent, fresh baked bread – “Pic n Pay”…….starting to get the picture??? Therefore shopping takes the whole day.  I have decided that there is no need to shop around, if I see it and I need it I just get it.  I have been told if I wait and come back tomorrow it might not be there anyway! 

Enough about shopping.  The biggest accomplishment of the day for me was driving for the first time.  April was a great driving coach – gently reminding me to keep to the left. Not so gently counting  every time I used the windshield wipers instead of the blinker – which was quit often (9 times to be exact).  Driving was not as difficult as I had worked it up in my mind to be.  It actually came pretty naturally – I told April  it was all those prayers that were sent up on my behalf.  The Lord took away all of my fears and anxiety.  Driving was actually easier than shopping!!!  The biggest accomplishment of the day for Scott was waiting for 2 hours to get the resident permit – (which by the Joshua was left off of).  All that means is he has to go back tomorrow and wait 2 more hours to add Joshua.  Scott also made it to freight forwarder to claim our container where he got chewed out by a woman and sent to customs. He went to customs and waited 45 minutes and finally got clearance.  We still aren’t completely clear.  We both have to go back tomorrow to get fingerprinted and to take the original title to the Suburban.  Scott thinks we will be done after that and schedule delivery to the rental house.  Please continue pray.  We see everyday how God is working in all of the details.  He tells us in His word that He goes before us and behind us.  He hems us in!!  We continue to stand in AWE of HIM!!!   - Tonya

3 comments:

  1. So HAPPY about the driving....you go, Girl!!!!! Sounds like the pace of life there is quite different from the USA....we sure have a lot to learn here in the states about patience and not allowing our schedules to dictate everything.....The Lord has been speaking to me about allowing Him to work and be at work in my life and not be in such a hurry...He may have a divine appointment for me if I will go with His plan.

    Poor little Joshua was left off the permit....hope all that comes together for you tomorrow.

    Hope you all are enduring the weather since you live in the Kalahari Desert. We have been studying about the that in our curriculum.

    Still praying. Love to all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayer for you today: May the Shipes family be strong and courageous; may they not be afraid or discouraged, for You, Lord my God, will be with them wherever they go. Joshua 1:9 (paraphrased) Love and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to be keeping notes as these emails and write a book on your adventure when you go back home... you are all experiencing an awesome experience.... I pray for you all that God will let you know who to rent your room to or do what ever needs to be done... sometime i would like you to tell us about your weather and temps and the time differences. for us back home... I told my granddaughter Aimee when she was small she was so afraid of everything .... i showed her the moon and told her that is Gods Porch Light and even now when i go outside at night with Daisy the dog i say well Lord where is your porch light tonite and sometimes i see it and sometimes it is hiding but tonite when i go out i will remember that you said no matter where we are we are seeing the same moon... I love you guys...Aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete