"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day 4


Wow – when I type Day 4 as the title of this post I think to myself, “you mean we’ve only been here 4 days?”  But then I put it in perspective 2 days are missing due to travel.  I always expect too much too fast!!! It’s an urgency issue.  I want everything done right now.  My mom used to say, “Rome wasn’t built in a day.”

Today we woke up early  -  7am ( that would be 1 am according to our internal clocks) and headed to Kumokwanne.  The village is about 30 minutes from where we are staying.  When we arrived the villagers were gathered awaiting our arrival.  We introduced ourselves to all of the kids and tried to learn some names.  We sang a few songs and they taught us a couple.  The kids were very  intrigued with Josh and Joe’s Ben Ten light up tennis shoes.  They huddled around  them to see the shoes in action.  My children were very friendly.  Parker even took the lead to teach them a few new songs.  He did the silly shark song and the fruit song  (I didn’t even know both of these.)  The village kids loved it.  We met the Chief of the village and went into the building that used for their court.  There were probably 200 people gathered inside.  There was a small service – a few songs, a couple of speakers, a prayer and Scott did a brief lesson.  He spoke about God knowing our needs.  He explained temporary needs verse eternal needs and those needs only being  met by Jesus.  He did a wonderful job! At the end of the service the clothes were distributed to the village kids.  They were very excited and grateful.  We look forward to returning to the village to see all of the kids again.

We were treated to lunch today at a pizza place – that’s the closest thing to American food we have had.  It was very delicious – even the little boys loved it.

The afternoon was spent back at the potential rental home negotiating the lease.  Please pray for our discernment in this situation.  The lease price that we thought was already agreed on was already pushing our budget limit for housing and the lessor asked to increase the rent today.  We told him we would pray about what we needed to do and get back with him.  We don’t have any peace about this sudden change in rent.  We will go tomorrow and look at another possible rental and try to make a more informed decision after that.  Please Pray that we would know exactly how to handle this situation.
We have been so blessed to be hosted by a wonderful couple  - April and Jeff Sukup – they are missionaries here from Tampa FL.  They have been so accommodating and very gracious hosts.  We returned home from lease negotiations to a wonderful dinner of Lasagna, fresh baked bread and homemade chocolate cake.  When I say homemade I mean from scratch.  I keep telling my kids that April is spoiling them – they are eating like Kings!!  The boys love living here with the 2 dogs.  I’m not sure who is most tired at the end of the day -  Josh and Joe or the dogs J 

Tomorrow we head to church for the 8am and 10am services to be introduced to the congregation.  Thank for all of your prayers.

Love, Tonya

4 comments:

  1. We are definitely praying about your home and rent situation!!!!! Wow, you have walked by faith so much on this journey. I pray believing that God will show up again in this most important and urgent need!!!!!!

    Now I want some chocolate cake after reading about all that delicious food. So happy that the Lord has connected you with wonderful and loving people!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continuing to keep your housing need lifted up to the Lord. Jeff is home this weekend from the
    Coastguard:) I am up late making Sunday dinner. Your menu sounds great:) My prayer for you is straight from Scripture:
    May the Spirit of the Lord rest upon you,"the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord." Isaiah 11:2

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to have your first formal ministry experience! We just arrived back to the states so I am up early here, catching up and am so blessed to read about how God is putting His plan in motion! I know that He will provide just the right place for you all...I am praying for your discernment in making the right decisions and for something to come quickly!
    Sending thoughts and prayers your way!
    Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your day must have been so full! Tonya, people were allowed praises in the evening service and we heard (from your mom) that the housing issue was worked out satisfactorily. Praising God for answering everyone's prayers!!!!!
    For we walk by faith, not by sight. 2 Cor 5:7
    May you continue to walk by faith with the Holy Spirit as your guide. Praying, Kathy

    ReplyDelete