"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

Saturday, August 21, 2010

August 21, 2010 – Yesterday

 
Yesterday Scott and I spent the entire day at the immigration office.  We watched so many people waiting in lines to get their paper work turned in, their fingers printed, and to pay their government fees.  I was reminded once again of the diversity of this world and all I can picture is what Heaven will be like…every tongue, every tribe and every nation.  We went at 10:15 am – the process was suppose to take 30 minutes – and we left at 3:15pm with 4 of our boys papers sitting on the immigration agents desk promised to be done as soon as he returns. I am assuming that will be Monday morning.  While we there waiting God put in our paths 2 young university exchange students from Japan.  The girl was sitting next to me and asked where we were from.  We struck up a conversation about how she came to University of Botswana and why she chose Bots.  Her name is Yuko and she is studying Social Sciences.  There were only a few options for her to choose to do an exchange (what we would call study abroad).  She chose Botswana because she thought it would be interesting to go to Africa.  She has been here since 8/3/10 and is very homesick – bless her 20 year old heart!!  She is having a very hard time adjusting to the different culture and she and the Japanese Boy with her are the only 2 Japanese at the entire University.  She was very sweet and seemed drawned to the “mama” in me.  We shared our story of why God had us here and what He had called us to do.  We exchanged cell numbers and I told her we would have her over when we get in our house.  Please pray for Yuko.  Pray for us as we find ways to minister to her.  Pray that we would be Jesus to her and that she would come to know Him as Savior.

While we were at the immigration office the oldest kids were at the student camp and the youngest 3 were at the house with April.  Bless April’s heart!! I never intended to be gone all day – this just added to my stress of waiting – knowing she was at home taking care of my kids.  Somehow she managed – well she was still alive when got back!! 

As soon as we got home we headed to the Blankenship’s home for the kids to play and for us to have dinner. Bill and Dana are IMB missionaries here in Botswana.  They have 3 teenage children that we met at church on Sunday.  We had a very relaxing evening as the kids ran around their back yard and played video games.  We got to know Bill and Dana and the ministry they do here.  We probably over stayed our welcome – but eventually headed home and to bed. 

We are grateful for who God is putting in our path.  We are grateful to have others to share life with.  We are grateful for teams that come from America and run student camps.  We are grateful for a generous host family that doesn’t mind watching our kids.  We are grateful to be chosen to be part of this journey.      TONYA

4 comments:

  1. Well, I can certainly see why Yuko would be drawn to "mama" Tonya! I have been so blessed by your blogs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered where old Bill and Dana ran off to! LOL I love "following" you on your adventures in Botswana. May God richly bless you for your faithfulness!!! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful to know you and your family, and I am grateful to know and pray for you and all the children of Botswana!!!!! Thanks for all the sharing and allowing us to be a part of your journey!!!

    Love you all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving your God journey:) and praying for you all. How precious your conversation with Yuko was. Asking that God would open her heart to find Christ. She came so far to meet him!:) and His love was there in your own beautiful warm heart, Tonya:)Praising God for you!

    ReplyDelete