"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

Thursday, November 4, 2010

What Do You See?

Dumela to all our friends and family.  Tonya and I apologize for not updating recently.  I want to start the blog asking for prayer and praises for my friend,  Moruti James Mpopang, Pastor of Naledi Baptist Fellowship, was in "T-Boned" in a car accident yesterday in the van he was driving.  The passenger van that hit him was driving too fast when James pulled out into the road and made contact at full speed.  If the contact was 2 feet closer to the driver door, he would have perished.  He was being watched over from heaven.  There was no injury other being very sore.  Pray for his back pain and removal of the flash backs he keeps having of the impact.  Just recently, James has been elected President of the Botswana Baptist Convention.  Pray for wisdom and good leadership as he carries a vision of spreading the Church to the northern areas of Botswana.  This is where the HIV/AIDS percentage is very high and where tribal worship has blocked the truth of the Word from the people.

We had a great conference at our house this week and learned some very helpful insights to working effectively for the kingdom of God.  All of us see things through lenses our world forms for us to see through.  Westerners tend to see things from the perspective we need to fix something because there is something broken.  We have a something we can give a needy consumer who needs us.  Tribal cultures see the world as spiritual that is filled with good and evil spirits who have to be pleased to survive in it.  They will take what is given to them but know the spirits have the final say.  To move up in this world, the spirits have to be bribed.  So how do these two different looking worlds work together?  The love of God and looking the world from a biblical world view there is only one world, the one He made.

Living in Botswana for almost 3 months, I am starting to see the world through different glasses.  I have learned I need Botswana more than Botswana needs me.  Working with the people here, there is such a richness in blessings of human opportunity that you cannot see from a world view perspective that only reveals there are givers and takers.  I learned that a blessing is not a gift but the opportunity to prosper, abundantly.  God's Word demonstrates this definition over and over again form Genesis to Revelation.  I am learning how to love more and more as we live here.  I feel Botswana has given me more capacity to love and see the blessings of God's creation.  The biblical view is showing me the love of God for this world is found in His Word not in what I see.   What do you see in your world?

In His Love,

Scott

1 comment:

  1. Love your perspective especially the one line, "A blessing is not a gift but the opportunity to prosper abundantly." We prosper abundantly in the deepest part of our beings when give of ourselves freely to others and God's work.....it's that peace that material blessings just can't touch. When I take the time to view the vastness of my Creator God, I am overflowing with gratitude. It's such a struggle living in American culture....it pulls at you everyday. I'm thankful for you both and the love you have for Jesus....thank you for the spiritual blessings that you share with all of us here in the states and other parts of the world. God bless you all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete