"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Our God Reigns

I had the opportunity to preach at Open Baptist Church today.  Words can not describe how much of a struggle that was for me.  I have such high respect for the elders here and how strong in the Word of God they are.  What could I teach and share with them? I spent a lot of time in prayer as I struggled over this and decided to shared my personel testimony of how God used my life to put me in Botswana.  During the first service, after 4 microphones and computer shutting on and off, I was asked by a man from China who was in Botswana and questioned what he could do.  He was there because of his wife's job.  He prayed how God could use him, a computer programmer and video graphics.  After he saw a video I played, he said, "I can do that".  He thanked me for sharing and is going to see how he can be part of OBC's ministry.  So many people were encouraging and appreciated the work we are doing here.
While I was preaching, college students were presenting the Gospel to the children.  100 children made a decision for Christ today.  There will be a lot of follow-up with them and their families.  Pray for them as the decision made.  Pray as they are discipled to better prepare them for their next steps with Jesus.  ~ Scott
Please pray as we have many opportunities this week.  Scott is going with Moruti James the pastor at Old Naledi to meet with the city council about getting the permits needed to finish the building of the orphan feeding station. Please pray that this would be resolved.  The building has been at a stand still since the teams left because paperwork wasn't handled properly.  Scott and Moruti need to make some amends to smooth things over in order to progress.  Please pray that God would go before them and grant them favor with the councilmen.  We have meetings with a couple of other ministries in Gaborone about working together to go into schools to reach Children with the Gospel. Please pray that we would know if, with whom, when and where to partner. We will be holding our first children's volunteer training session at Old Naledi next Sunday. Please pray that our time would be effective and encouraging to the volunteers.  This will be the first of many.  We are having Kaz (the young lady that is feeling called to the mission field from OBC) over for dinner on Wednesday night - we are looking forward to spending time with her and hearing her heart for ministry.  Please continue to pray for Yuko (the Japanese exchange student I met at the immigration office when we first arrived).  We finally connected and she came and spent the day with us on Saturday.  She loved being with our family, hanging out, swimming and just getting away from dorm life. She and I got to go to lunch at a little deli. We shared a lot of good conversation and had some interesting spiritual conversations too.  She says that she doesn't believe in God at all because she never grew up knowing anything about God. She said a lot of people have approached her at UB asking her if she was a Christian.  She told me that one girl told her to pray with her and just repeat after her.  She said she had no idea what the girl was doing.  It is so hard for me to comprehend never knowing anything about God.  Makes me really grateful for the Christian heritage I have.  She is willing to go to church and has actually gone with some girls from school - because she wants to see all of the African clothing.  She is going to go with us some Sunday soon.  I am really praying for her and for my witness to her.  Please join me in praying for her salvation.
Such exciting times seeing God at work in Botswana.  Thanks for reading and praying!!
 ~ Tonya

1 comment:

  1. Hi everyone,
    Isnt it awesome how you can go places and into the schools there but we arent allowed to do the same things here in America...????
    I cant imagine not ever knowing God... even when there were times i didnt chose to live for the Lord i knew HIM... I knew he didnt approve...And since Doug left this earth i have wondered many times how people get through this pain without Jesus... I will pray for these girls but especially the one who doesnt know God and doesnt think she wants too...
    my weather is in the sixties and is lovely... had a wonderful rain yesterday. but if i understand right ...your on summer... this year you get to experience two summers...that is awesome too.
    Scott i am sure you did a great job ministering and how nice that man wants to help.
    how are the children adjusting to the area and schools???
    take care and know your in my prayers, love you all, Jane

    ReplyDelete