"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Time to Give Thanks

I am taking this from my daughter's facebook status but I thought it was perfect and appropriate for our Thanksgiving.  "All I have needed thy hands hath provided, Great is thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me."

I want to start this post by saying how Thankful I am to have had 3 wonderful months of sharing life with 2 incredible young men from the states.  Matt and Seth were short term missionaries with Campus Crusade  that arrived in Botswana just a few weeks after we did.  They were staying in one of our guest cottages and were a big part of our family here.  We started our Thanksgiving on a sad note when we took the guys to the airport to say goodbye.  I told them when they left to never doubt why God brought them to Botswana...He brought them to minister to us and our boys - if nothing else.  They made our adjustment to this country so much easier.  We will miss them so much - but are praying that God will make their next steps in ministry very clear to them.

Although this holiday in Botswana away from all of our friends and family has been "different" to say the least we have had a Happy Thanksgiving. We hosted a "feast" at our house on Thursday evening and were joined by Gabi and Norman Schaeffer (Pastor and Wife at Open Baptist) along with their "Botswana" daughter, KG.  We dined on roasted chicken, homemade stuffing - made from dried bread (nothing in a bag here ), green beans, Waldorf salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, and what was suppose to be sweet potato casserole but had to improvise with Butternut Squash casserole.  (We couldn't tell the difference)  Everything was delicious and the fellowship was sweet.  We are thankful for friends in Botswana that have adopted us as part of their family.

Today we traveled 70K to a smaller town called Lobatse.  We were invited by the Walkers (a missionary family from Atlanta area) to join them and several other missionary families (67 people in all) for a Thanksgiving celebration.  Seems so weird when a Thanksgiving celebration involves bringing swimsuits and towels on a day that the temperature is close to 100 degrees. We spent the day by the pool and enjoyed all of the "traditional" Thanksgiving favorites - 8 Turkeys and all the trimmings.  Everything was delicious and we enjoyed getting to know so many other families that are serving our Lord here in Botswana.  We are thankful to be included in a group that are here with the same mission - to see people come to know Jesus as Lord.

We truly are grateful this Thanksgiving but the holidays make us miss some things too: missed cooking and eating with my family this year.  Missed going through the sales ads and planning out our "Black Friday" shopping madness.  Missed the "hustle and bustle" of the holiday hubbub - It was just another day in Botswana.  This was the first year that Makenzie wasn't at the Thanksgiving table with us...really missed her.  Holidays have always been "family times" so we missed just being together with the ones we love.

When I think about the song "Great is thy faithfulness" I can't help but think how gracious our God has been to us. How He sent His son to save us.  How He has redeemed us and sent His Holy Spirit to live in us. I am so thankful for his daily provision. For the way He worked everything out for us to be here, I am grateful.  I am thankful that He works in the hearts of His people to accomplish His glorious purpose.  I am thankful that He allows us to be part of what He is doing.  I am grateful that my boys didn't seem to mind that this Thanksgiving was different.  I am grateful that even though circumstances, places, and people change - our God never changes.  He is the same yesterday, today and forever.  He is the same in SC as He is in Botswana and He deserves our gratitude and praise not only on Thanksgiving but everyday.

This day of giving thanks makes me thank the Lord for all of you.  I am so thankful that He has allowed our paths to cross. I am thankful that you are part of our lives, and that you care, love and pray for us. I am thankful for all of you who have sacrificially supported our family and the ministry that God has called us to in Botswana. I am thankful that you take the time to read our blogs and send words of affirmation and encouragement.  We love you all and pray God's richest blessings for you and yours!! ~ Tonya

3 comments:

  1. Well, I need to grab a box of Kleenex each time i sit down to read your blog, my dear Tonya!! Tears of rejoicing with u feeling the heartfelt love you have for the Lord! May God continually hold you close and u feel the love of all those that are praying for you!May you be blessed each day with comforts and God's Goodness! Pray you all are kept safe and reap many souls for your labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need tissue too!!!! You all are so precious, and I thank my God for you all this Thanksgiving weekend. I'm so thankful that he brought those two young men to you to help with the time of adjustment....That was His timing. How great and loving He is to His children. Miss you lots and continue to pray for you and your entire family. I pray for the children of Botswana as well. MUCH LOVE from SC!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just finished reading this after a long sad day- today marks one year since Daddy died. But, reading your blog renewed my spirit and reminded me just how much we all have to be thankful for. I have a Father in heaven who will always be with me and who allowed me to have the greatest earthly "Daddy' ever.
    I will continue praying for all of you Tonya- my heart is so full of admiration and love for you and your family.
    Thank you for sharing this journey with me and everyone else.
    Velmer Jean Hall

    ReplyDelete