"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Where do I begin?

Sometimes there is so much to share I ask myself where should I start?  Today I am starting where I left you on the last post.  I asked for you to pray for several things that we were facing and am happy to report that God has answered your prayers in mighty ways.
We had the wonderful privilege to host a team from Highland Baptist Church in Florence, AL that were here to survey what God is doing and see where God would have them partner.  Scott spent most of his days with the team and enjoyed getting to know them and see their hearts desire for ministry in Botswana.  We loved worshipping with them at GWest Baptist Church last Sunday and fellowshipping over lunch.  Scott and I had been praying about the place to launch our ministry and were really feeling led to GWest.  We were invited to dinner with the Alabama team and the GWest pastor and elders on Tuesday evening.  It was incredible to see how God is putting all of these people together.  Highland Baptist had a very clear understanding that GWest was the partnership for them to pursue.  Pastor Modise (from GWest) and the elders gave us a very clear vision and mission of the church.  Scott and I were both affirmed that GWest was a great launching place for our ministry.  We are very excited about the possibilities that God is orchestrating with us, GWest and Highlands Baptist.  Please continue to pray for this partnership. 
I have to share my funny story (funny now that it's over) that happened with the Highlands team.  On Thursday night we were having the Highlands team and another team over to our house for a cookout.  I had worked all day getting things ready and preparing side dishes.  There was a scheduled time before the cookout for the teams to go the Game Reserve but someone had to be here doing the grilling and someone had to be the driver.  So I decided it would be best if Scott grilled (since he is the grill master) and I drove the team through the reserve.  Bless their hearts!  We got there before 5:00 and knew that the reserve closed at 6:30 not to mention we planned for everyone to be at the house to eat at 6:30.  To make a long story short I got us very lost in the reserve and we could not find our way out.  I had been told on other trips that I had taken in the reserve that if you don't get out by 6:30 they lock you in for the night.  As the time got closer and closer to 6:30 I began to get very nervous.  I told the guys in the car that we would be locked in - I think I put a little panic in them too.  I just kept going in circles - or least that is how is seemed.  6:30 came and we still hadn't found the gate.  I was going very fast through the reserve and the animals were scurrying every which a way.  We were running down ostriches and telling Kudoo to move so we could go.  We finally found our way out at 6:40 and were so grateful that the guard was there to let us out. Thanks Chris and Keith for being so patient with me – enjoy telling your stories!! We finally made it home to house full of hungry people waiting on us to eat! 
On Saturday we traveled with Donna Chisam and Ruth Minetree north to a border town called Mosojane which is about 7 hours from Botswana.  We were greeted at our little roadside motel by pastor Andrew.  He had hitch-hiked from the village to the motel.  He rode with us the 20+ kilometers to the village.  He told us as we approached the village that children had gathered to greet us.  He said that some of them had been there since 9:00 that morning so excited that visitors were coming.  It was close to 5:00 by time we arrived and were totally overwhelmed at the warm greeting we received. There were more than 50 children of all ages standing there clapping and jumping and singing.  It was very emotional and very humbling.  We got out of the car and they all surrounded us - everyone wanting to shake our hands to greet us.  Scott and I were able to share a few songs with them and Scott told them the reason we came was because Jesus loves them.  We just couldn't get over how happy they were to have visitors.  We felt so undeserving of their attention.  We felt like we could never live up to that kind of hunger for attention.  We invited them all back to church the next morning and told them all goodbye.  They departed at sunset scattering in all different directions across the village.  We spent the evening driving through the village with Pastor.  We were able to see the second day care center and spent some time in prayer with them.  The second day care is not open at this time because it didn’t have enough bathrooms.   They are in the process of putting in an outside bath with 4 toilets.  Please join us in praying that this project is completed quickly.  There are many, many vulnerable and orphaned children that need that daycare center as a safe place to be while their siblings that take care of them are at school.  Even with 70 kids and only 2 workers it is better than being on the street at 2, 3, or 4 years of age.  This is so hard for us to comprehend...How in the world do you do anything with 70 kids and 2 workers in 2 small classrooms?  We didn’t get to see the daycare in action because it was the weekend.  We are hoping to go back during the week at some point to see the day care center and see how we might be able to help them.  Sunday morning we went to the church.  The church is held in one of the classrooms at the primary school.  All of the children (75) sat on one side of the room and the adults (40) sat on the other.  We were once again given such a warm welcome.  Scott and I had the privilege of taking the children out after the music where we taught them from Psalm 139 – How fearfully and wonderfully made they are.  How they are unique and created for a purpose.  We split them into 2 groups and I did a craft with them while Scott did some games.  I asked some of the kids if they had ever been taught this lesson.  They all said No they had never learned that they were fearfully and wonderfully made.  After we finished with our lesson, craft, and games we joined the adults where we got to witness the Pastor handing out New Testaments to some of the adults. 


The New Testament has only been in translated into their native language, Khulunga, for the past 2 years and this was the first time many of them had held it in their hands.  Tears rolled down my cheeks as these people took their Bible and clutched it to their chests.  They got back to their seats and opened them and began to read the Word of God for the very first time.  I cannot even describe the emotions.  I was just thinking how many complete Bibles I have at my house and I take that for granted.  Never even thinking about all of the people in this world that don’t even own a Bible or have it translated in their language.  After church we shared juice and cookies with them and said our goodbyes.  We then headed to visit with the Chief of the village.  She was very gracious to us and welcomed us to her village.  She shared with us the many concerns she has for the people of Mosojane. She invited Donna to help her with a strategy for the whole village.  Incredible to watch since that is exactly where God has gifted Donna.  We had a time of prayer and asked her if we could come back in December to run a VBS with kids.  She was delighted and said we are most welcome.   Please pray for us as we prepare to return in December with all of our children to run a 5 day VBS.  This will be challenging because of the accommodations in the area.  There is only the one small motel (which makes the red roof inn look like the Hilton) and no grocery stores.  We are up for the challenge but know that it will take a lot of prayers and creativity to pull it off. 

We stopped by the Khama Rhino Reserve on our way home and enjoyed getting to see some of the animals of Botswana. The highlight was sitting at dinner and seeing a huge Black Rhino come to the swimming pool for a drink.   He was within 50 feet from where were sitting.  The people working there called him Naughty - because he comes to drink from the pool. 

Last night Scott and I were invited to Old Naledi Baptist Fellowship for their prayer meeting.  How incredible to walk in to the room filled with voices singing praises to our LORD in perfect harmony.  I just bowed my head and took in the beautiful sound.  After the prayer service we had a chance to talk with Moruti James and Julian (elder/deacon).  They asked us to come to Old Naledi and help train their Sunday School leaders.  We are very excited about the opportunity to help them take their next step in establishing a sustainable children’s ministry.  Please be in prayer about this.  The pastor and elder are supposed to select their potential leaders and we will schedule some training times.

All of a sudden it feels like we have so many places that need and want our help.  Please join us in praying for God’s guidance as we prepare for VBS in Mosojane, training at Old Naledi, training and possible VBS at GWest.  This is a big task that will only be possible with our Big GOD!!

We love you all and thank you for your prayers, your love, your encouragement, and your financial support.  Thanks for being a part of what God is doing in this corner of the world we call Botswana.

4 comments:

  1. Great things, Sister. I love you and am so thankful for what He is doing through you. I miss you! Sometimes I can't wait until we get Home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like I was with you as you told of your travels in Botswana. God is so amazing and we constantly pray for your safety and witness. Say Hi to Donna for me. I will never forget her leadership in our very first trip there. We love you and God Bless.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the part about the children getting their first Bible put in their hands.....that is so moving. We know His Word never returns void. Oh, to love the Word that we have been so freely given, God's love letter to us....it is so precious....

    No GPS to get you out of the Reserve.....ha, ha.....wouldn't get you out anyway. I'm sure you were sweating that one out....glad you made it out in time. I'm not sure I would have. I have absolutely no sense of direction.

    Blessings to you and prayers continually for the great work the Lord is doing in Botswana!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHHHhhhh Tonya and Scott - I could hardly read for the tears flowing - if you only could know what your ministry is doing in my life. I just pictured the children grabbing the Bibles and holding to little chest. OH MY -- and so many dont even pick up their Bibles here ever- Professed Christians attending every Sunday faithfully and never opening their precious Bibles -- GOD HELP US AND FORGIVE US!! Since I teach a Ladies SS class Tonya and Scott they hear all of your blogs and your families picture is going up on our wall. HOW CAN WE HELP YOU CHRISTMAS??? PRAYER NUMBER ONE I KNOW BUT CAN WE SEND YOU SOMETHING - FOR YOU OR YOUR CHILDREN.... LOVE U GIRL SOOO MUCH AND SCOTT BLESSED ME SO MUCH IN THIS BLOG - HIS RESPONSES WERE SO ANNOINTED....

    ReplyDelete