"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

Monday, September 6, 2010

A New Week and New School

Well, this was the first day of school.  The boys were so funny and so different with their attitudes.  Hunter and Chandler were not digging the uniforms.  They do no understand why someone would wear a blazer in 95 degree weather.  Parker loved the new look and styling.  Joe and Josh were ready to show off their new uniforms.  They have to leave the house around 6:30 and so that adds to the misery.  Check out the pictures.



While the boys were in school, I was getting schooled on how you register a vehicle in Botswana.  No one should ever complain about a DMV any where in the US.  I get a ticket when I arrive with a number.  I look at the fine print and noticed the estimated time would be 3 hours later!  After waiting this torturous 3 hours I realize I am at the wrong place but they would enter me in the system and take my $125 Pula (approx. $20USD).  I then drove across town to find out they are at lunch.  I return at 2:00 and an hour later they run all the required tests.  It is at this point I discover the customs forms have the VIN number incorrect by one digit.  He can not register until this is correct.  I drive across town and get the correction and official new stamp.  When I got back to the registration, it was discovered the error occurred 3 times and needed to be stamped 3 times at each error correction.  Are you kidding me?  No Mister Shipes this is official business and no laughing matter.  Humbleness and patience does not come natural for me.  It is not my first choice.  So I continue my journey tomorrow.

When I returned home, I had a family who was excited to see me.  Joe said he was going to school everyday because he loved it so much.  Josh said it was OK.  They are separated this year for the first time.  Parker loves his teacher and said it was going to be fun this year.  The older two said yea whatever.  Unloaded some boxes tonight. It was like Christmas a litte.  Finding stuff we forgot we shipped.  I found some pictures and hung them on the walls.  It helps feel more at home.   Tonya cooked a fantastic meal made from scratch.  No prepared foods here.  She is doing such a great job.  The boys ate all of it.

Tonya spent the day getting the other vehicle settled.  They needed to repair the rear view mirror and put the tags on the car.  By time she was done there and went by the grocery store it was time to pick up kids.  They get out of school at 1:00.  The afternoon was spent doing homework and relaxing after the first day of school.

Please be in prayer as Tonya and I are formulating a plan of action to begin children's ministry here in Gaborone and beyond.  Please pray that God would show us what is best for this country and these children.  So often foreigners come in and just want to do their thing - the way they have always done it.  In a different country and culture it is important to do things their way - alongside them - so they can own the ministry after it is started.  We need lots of prayers and guidance from God during this planning time.

Scott

1 comment:

  1. Sarah Grace and I prayed for you all this morning. Love the pics. The twins are so adorable!!!!!!! Poor Hunter doesn't look too happy! Miss you all and love you all very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete