"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

JOY



The theme for our VBS week in Mosojane was JOY.  How do you describe Joy to someone?  Joy is not something you can give to someone else, it is not something you can make someone feel in the same exact way that you do, it is not happiness.  It is a feeling that most of us understand but still have a hard time describing. It is that deep-seated contentment, peace, and excitement that wells up inside us.

These past few weeks I have been filled with Joy.  Makenzie was able to join us in Botswana for Christmas.  She arrived last Sunday night.  We were all overfilled with Joy to see her, to hug her, to share some time with her.  She was overwhelmed with all of us the first night.  She said, “slow down guys I can’t hear everyone saying Makenzie, Makenzie, Makenzie all at one time.”  We all wanted to tell her something or show her something.  Makenzie commented how impressed she was that everyone already knew so much about Gaborone and Botswana in such a short time.  I thought about what she said and in my heart really agreed.  It is pretty impressive at how much our boys have experienced, learned, and understand already.  I am very proud of all of them for the way they have adjusted.

My “Moma” Joy was on overload on Tuesday night.  It is one of times that I will always remember.  I think Mary in the Bible described it as pondering these things and storing them in her heart.  We were all together listening to music, basking in the Glow of the Christmas tree, and working on getting supplies ready to head to Mosojane to do VBS.  It was a wonderful thing to experience all together.  I have done plenty of VBS prep in my life but never have I done it with just Scott and all of my kids.  To see all of them involved and really enjoying being together and serving our Lord at the same time was an incredible experience.  It truly was one of those “priceless” moments.

On Wednesday morning we packed (or maybe I should say “loaded down”) the Suburban and made our 7-hour trek north to the small town of Tshesebe where we would be staying in the Stop Over Motel for 4 nights.  After unloading we headed to Mosojane – about a 20K trip down a long and winding “washboard” dirt road.  Moruti Andrew, his wife Elizabeth and some very joyful and excited children greeted us. We got things ready and set to begin on Thursday morning.  The festivities were supposed to begin at 9:30am.  When we arrived in Mosojane at 8:15am there were already over 70 kids anxiously waiting for us to arrive and get things started.  At 9:30 we had our first Opening Celebration.  Over 100 kids joined us and rotated through 4 stations.  Music – led by Makenzie and Parker; Recreation – led by Chandler and Hunter; Bible – led by Moruti Scott Shipes; and Crafts – led by me.  Josh and Joe were participants at the VBS and enjoyed moving around in their group and getting to know some of the kids.  It is an indescribable Joy to be a part of hosting a VBS for kids that have never had anything like that before. We were privileged to teach them where real Joy comes from - A God that keeps His promises and sent His one only Son Jesus to this world to save us from our sins. We taught them that Joy comes from putting Jesus first in your life, putting others second, and yourself last.  We were so blessed to watch them praising the Lord through songs such as "Joy to the World", "Give me joy in my heart keep me praising",  "I've got Joy down in my heart, deep deep down in my heart"...to name a few. The kids at VBS ranged in age from less than 1 to 15.  All ages seemed to loved it.  New kids joined us everyday and we really liked getting to know those who returned each day.  We learned names and faces and even little personalities.  We returned in the afternoons to play soccer and field games.  The girls played “Duck, Duck, Goose” while the boys joined in the friendly competition on the soccer field.  I think the pictures do a better job of showing the Joy than my feeble words do at describing it. 














At the end of VBS each day we served lunch to everyone.  Pastor Andrew was very grateful.  He thanked us for not only meeting spiritual needs of the kids but also their physical needs. He told us for most of them that would be their only food for the day. Really puts into perspective how blessed we are!! 

Sunday morning we held a Celebration Service during church.  The kids enjoyed getting a certificate, a candy cane, and a “silly band” thanks to Mrs. Karla and Mrs. Lisa who gathered supplies in the states and sent them for us to do VBS.  

Four days went by in a blur and we got attached to some sweet little kiddos. After lots of hugs and "high fives" we said our goodbyes and left with the promise to return in the Summer (Winter for them).

We thank God for all He accomplished this week in Mosojane.  We thank Him for the Joy He fills each of us with through His Son, Jesus.  We thank Him for allowing us to be a part of spreading His Joy with the Children of Mosojane.  We especially thank Him for you - For your prayers, your financial support, your words of encouragement - it was not only us sharing Jesus in Mosojane - it was all of you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this wonderful God experience of VBS. It has brought a smile to my heart and many thoughts of all the things you didn't say. I remember you asking us to pray over the food you would have to bring for the whole week. It sounds as if God helped you through! I think of things that must have been difficult and "hear" and "see" nothing but joy and praise for God! Oh, my I feel so left behind here as you have grown soooooo much!!!!! Praise God for all He is providing spiritually and the extra special joy of McKenzie being with you at this very special time, not only the season of the year but the season in her life. You got the gift of her being "your girl" for just a bit more. My heart was so thrilled picturing the scene of you all working to prepare for the VBS together! Our lives here very rarely allow for that type of experience. God is stretching and growing all of you so much. Praying for any "growing pains" and asking for much fruit to come! In Him, kathy

    ReplyDelete