"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Are you being sifted?

Dumela lang!(Hello to all my friends and family). Thank you for praying for the things I mentioned in my last blog. Tonya is doing much better and is back to being her active self again. She was released from physio today! Makenzie got a Nursing Externship this summer in the Cardiovascular ICU at Roper Hospital in Charleston. She is excited to have the opportunity for the experience and to work in critical health care. Hunter is doing well adjusting and is very busy with life and getting ready to attend Charleston Southern University this with his sister. Parker and Tonya are settling into a homeschool routine. Josh and Joe are practicing their reading everyday and keeping us on our toes as always. Chandler is doing well in school. He is going camping in the Kalahari Desert next week with some friends and is looking forward to that. So things on the homefront seem to be okay for now. Thank you Jesus!

Today, I want to share a verse that convicted me, about how am I letting God's Word make changes in me? I read this verse the other week and felt no need for comment but today was different. Luke 22:31-32, "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." I missed this over the years and and never fully realized Satan asked permission to deal with Simon Peter. Jesus explains this will happen but He prayed for Simon Peter that his faith will not fail.

"Sift like wheat." I kept processing this statement over again in my mind. I can visually see it now since we moved here. The local people grind maize and sorghum and sift the grain by letting the wind take away the husk and fiber and leave only grain in the their basket. The "good" is in the grain and they want to remove the other dead material. I was seeing a new picture here. Satan wanted to take away the good from Simon Peter. The process of sifting, is to shake in an upward circular motion the sieve or basket to create turbulence to remove the dead from the good. A biblical way to say it is the inward agitation to try one's faith to the verge of overthrow. Our faith and self-control keeps the good away from the dead. So where am I going with this?

Every day in this world we are given to the agitations and turbulence. A world that Satan is in and all over it with his lies and hate. Jesus tells Peter He prayed his faith may not fail. Then Jesus tells him "when once", meaning at some time you will fail,but you will return and encourage everyone. The "when once" suddenly started to sink in for me. The times I am the most agitated and torn within is when others are impacting my life or when I can not do the work I want to do here.

Peter and I are starting to be too much alike, or maybe I'm just starting to notice. Quick to speak and stubborn to think others may be right. Always too busy thinking I'm the one that's right. It is during this sifting, inward, turbulent process that I have the opportunity to display my faith. God allows this happen to strengthen me and others. We have to protect and maintain the good in us which is from Jesus Christ and not from our selves. If good is of man, it is corrupt, destructive and fleeting. My self confidence creates sorrow and shame if I do not keep it in check. This so apparent to me sitting in traffic while drivers are darting in and out and everyone is trying to get a better spot in the waiting line. I feel helpless in long lines paying bills, buying food, filling out documents and government paperwork. I have been hearing too many roosters crowing lately when I blow my horn or make remarks about people.

Just as Jesus restored Peter, He restores me. He gives me a chance to gain strength and learn from my actions. I need to encourage others not just in our training times but in my life times in the daily "world" stuff. Discipling is not just at specific times we choose, it is all the time and everywhere. I have to be prayerful about this to keep my "wheat" from getting taken away or I should say, "given to Satan"?

Thank you for your love, support and prayers. We are busy doing the work God called us to and are enjoying it. Finishing training at the Anglican Church this weekend and starting the next level of training for the school. I have such a desire to disciple and am praising God He keeps discipling this modern day Peter.


Scott

2 comments:

  1. Love your transparency. God is shaping you into an image of Himself. Our prayers and thoughts continue for you and your dear family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad to know you are there lifting us up and keeping our family in your heart.

      Delete